Sunday, March 7, 2010

Chicken Fried Steak

I made this dish a few nights ago, and as soon as I plated it there was no doubt in my mind I was going to blog it. This is a recipe I make once in a great while, and every time I do, I ask myself why I don’t make it more often. This is so rich, and savory. Every bite melts in your mouth, and you get just a little bit of heat right at the end. I love that. If you like authentic southern style comfort food you will love this dish Buon appetito!





8 slices of bacon chopped
2 cup plus 1 ½ TBS flour
2 to 3 cups buttermilk
1 large egg
2 to 3 cups whole milk
Four 6 oz cube steaks
Vegetable oil for frying
½ cup onion.
Salt
Fresh cracked pepper
Paprika
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cayenne pepper


In a bowl whisk together buttermilk, egg, salt and pepper. In another bowl combine flour and ¼ tsp each of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. In a sauté pan render bacon down until crispy. Remove and let dry on a paper towel. Add onion to pan with rendered bacon fat, and sauté until translucent. Add 1 ½ TBS flour and make a roué. Whisk in milk, and add ¾ of the bacon back to the pan. Bring to a simmer until thick. Meanwhile heat oil in another sauté pan. Dip cube steak in buttermilk, and then dip in flour mixture. Next dip steak back into buttermilk, and back in flour mixture. Place in hot oil and fry until golden brown and nice crust forms. Serve steak over a bead of mashed potatoes, and spoon gravy over the entire dish, and garnish with remaining bacon bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment