Saturday, January 9, 2010

The New Years Meal


For the first dinner of the year I like to have corn beef and cabbage. I really don't believe in the "eat this and it will make you prosperous crap", its just really tasty. This is also the time of year that the local markets have it on sale. That brings me to my first ever tip. Buy food that is in season. It will taste better and will be less expensive. Also try to buy food that is locally grown. It doesn't have to come from as far away, so it will taste better and you are putting money back in your local economy. Now as for the corn beef, I didn't do anything real fancy with it. I used the packet of spices that came with it and just simmered it in water low and slow all afternoon. The real star of the show IMHO was the sauce. I made a balsamic and dijon sauce that I still dream about. The cabbage was just chopped and fried in a skillet with a little extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper until it just starts to caramelize around the edges. I also served a side of rice and black eyed peas. Again another eat on New Years Day and you will be prosperous food. It seemed to fit.

Balsamic and Dijon Sauce

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp water
2 TBS dijon mustard
1 pinch of sea salt
a few cranks of fresh cracked pepper

combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk vigorously until everything is well blended.

No comments:

Post a Comment