Sunday, January 17, 2010

Spicy Smoked Sausage, Tomato, and Mushroom Soup


Once a month my wife and I take turns hosting a dinner party with two other couples. Its good fellowship and good fun. We all share a common interest, food! Right now my go to cookbook is Emeril 20-40-60 by Chef Emeril Lagasse. Emeril is my favorite chef followed closely by Mario Batali. I was looking through the cookbook looking for something I could take to our dinner party when I came across a spicy smoked sausage, tomato, and mushroom soup. It looked very tasty, so I decided to give it a try. It was a hit. Everyone loved it, and asked that I make sure and blog it, so here you go guys here’s the recipe. It was even better the next day for lunch.


Ingredients

1 TBS olive oil.
1 lbs smoked sausage diced
8 oz button mushrooms (I used baby portabellas)
1 ½ cup diced onion
½ cup diced red bell pepper
½ cup diced green bell pepper
2 TBS fresh garlic sliced thin
2 28oz cans of whole tomatoes, roughly chopped with juice ( I ALWAYS use San Marzanos)
4 cups chicken stock
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh soft herbs (I used Basil)
1 ½ tsp salt
¾ tsp crushed red pepper

Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium high heat. When oil is hot add sausage and cook until it’s browned around the edges. Add mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are soft and lightly browned. Add the tomatoes and their juices, chicken stock, herbs, salt, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the flavors have married.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! This soup was amazing. Can't wait to have it again. :-) Should have known it was Emeril. I love that new cookbook. I just made the Mushroom Smothered Steaks out of it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete